Thursday, March 19, 2020

measure

I could measure every part of you,
calculate every dimension.
I could count each hair upon your head
and determine how fast it lengthens.
I could give you the most thorough
physical examination.
Tell me, friend,
Would I truly know you then?

I could look into your family tree,
to understand your history.
I could explore your town, your school, your home,
to see the different sights you see.
I could come with you to work
and put it all into a spreadsheet.
Friend, tell me
Would that cover everything?

I could put down all my measuring tools
and sit inside your silence.
I could listen to your poetry
and put away the science.
I could stay up with you all night
and slowly gain your confidence.
I know I can never know you,
but tell me,
Would you like to dance?


day 2 prompt: measure

No comments:

Post a Comment