Monday, July 22, 2019

the other side of the world

The Friendship Series
Installment 3: Courtney


Your house was different from mine.
There was more fighting,
but the casual kind-
the consequence of seven girls
vying for space,
to find themselves unique
in a crowded place.

The kind of fighting
that comes from closeness
was one I didn't know yet,
and even though it alarmed me,
I enjoyed it.

You were blonde with sharp blue eyes,
darker than mine, the cautious kind-
stained by grief
or something else divine.

I wouldn't be surprised to see you
in some subculture in heaven.
Before you went to Korea,
I swear you were already Korean.

Your piano-hands were angrier than mine,
pressing on the keys
like they were mines.
And if you dug down deep,
you'd find the gold
that'd buy you your escape
from the past's grip hold.

Is that what you found
on the other side of the world?


No comments:

Post a Comment