Thursday, April 9, 2015

sunflowers



So within the past couple of weeks, these flowers have sprouted all over my school.
The elementary students made them as a craft and I think they're super cute.
But at the same time, they made all the petals by tracing their hands and cutting it out,
And I think it could be potentially creepy that a bunch of childrens' hands are in the flowers.
I walk through the hallway and picture them reaching out to grab me.
So yeah, this is my poem inspired by the sunflowers in my school.


Sprouting in dark corridors,
Growing, reaching for the light,
In a land devoid of sun,
They were wild sunflowers bright.

Crawling through the carpet,
Roots and reaching and no rain.
I said hello and went on my way,
But they softly whispered, "Stay."

Hello, hello, hello.
The inflorescence waved to me
With yellow-fingered pantomime,
And yet there was no breeze.

And I found it kind of strange
In such an unexpected land,
How the petals rare resembled
The palm of a tiny hand,

Walking down the hallway dark,
How eerie now it seemed,
I saw a million fingers,
Petals, pointed straight at me.

Nodding their brown heads,
They drew me in and wrapped around-
Grasping me with many a leaf,
Grip strong, without a sound.

Silent yellow hands reached out
And grabbed me by the throat.
Fragrant, breathless bondage,
Sea of yellow, stay afloat.

The last thing I remember,
Looking down upon my hands,
My fingertips reforming,
Golden petals, then the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment