Friday, June 23, 2023

daughter

 

daughter, I promise that I always 

will be there for you.

I’ll love you however you feel

and I’ll love you whatever you do.

I’ll come close when you cry

and I will give you what you need.

I’ll hold you tight and sing to you

as you fall asleep.


daughter, you’re loved already,

you don’t have to prove yourself to me.

now and always, you can know

you have a family.

daughter, I’ll hold you steady

when you can’t hold up your head,

I’ll comfort you and clean you up

when you make a big mess.


I’ll try hard to be patient,

gentle, loving, tender, kind,

but I know that I will fail you

and break these promises sometimes.

it breaks my heart to see you hurt

and to know that it’s my fault 

or that I cannot fix what’s wrong

or control what happens in your world.


but when I’m paralyzed with guilt

and I’ve made a big mess,

I know that I’m a daughter too

of one who’ll never break a promise.

He’ll clean me up and hold me close

and love me like I love you,

but perfectly, and so I pray

He’ll be your Father too.


watching your every movement

the smiles that flicker across your face,

holding and caring for you

I’m amazed God would love me like this-

would care for all my joys and hurts

and intimately know my frame.

He loves the weak and helpless

and He calls them by their name.

No comments:

Post a Comment