Tuesday, June 18, 2019

spider in the shower

My fear is a tiny spider
Spotted on the shower wall-
Makes me cower in a corner,
Shudder at the slightest crawl.
In a rush of naked panic
I forget that he is small.
Unprotected and alone,
I feel him looming tall.

I dare not move, I dare not cry
For fear others will come
And see me in this helpless state,
The coward I've become.
I clutch a weapon,
Try to solve the problem on my own-
Wait to strike, still paralyzed
By the fear of the unknown.

Then I stare at him and wonder
Why I feel such great disgust.
He never gave me reason
To doubt his motives or distrust,
Only wandered unsuspectingly
Into a private place.
I throw the object and ignore
His own sad, frightened face.

Now my fear is a tiny spider
Smashed upon the shower wall,
And to see him dead and powerless,
I regret I feared at all.
I wash myself of dirt and dust
But cannot shake the shame
That I killed a thing in self-defense
That never meant me harm.


No comments:

Post a Comment