Friday, March 1, 2019

hymn

I saw you
Unexpectedly today.
Felt the glowing gold
Of French horns
Trumpets and trombones
Heard their shining sound
And swam
In warm brass waters.

Your voice
A blanket long enough
To cover the tips
Of my cold toes.
Not with fancy prose
But great care,
And the mellow, even tone
I knew you for.

I always looked up to you
A star on top
Of tinsel and lights
And pine.
Quietly glowing,
Revering, remembering
Smaller
Happier times.

My worries were younger
When I knew you,
Wild and untamed,
Honest, unnamed.
I remember driving to the city
To watch the tubas play.
I held the music
While you joined their caroling.

“Angels we have heard”
I felt the world
Golden and grand,
And when I saw you
I missed that time,
Longed to be young
And filled with wonder
Again.

Christ was born,
And angels sang.
He came to wear our skin.
I left my worries
At the manger with Him
When I looked into your eyes
And heard
A hymn.

No comments:

Post a Comment