Thursday, April 10, 2014

what will i consider?

This song is based on Psalm 77, one of my favorite psalms in which Asaph speaks of a time when he doubted the goodness and love of God and cried out to Him. He was in great distress and speaks of his spirit growing faint and his refusal to be comforted. Yet there is a transition in verse 10, where Asaph decided to turn His focus away from His circumstances and the pain he was feeling and look to God. He meditated on all God had done in the past, in creation and miracles and leading His people, and the ways He had proven Himself trustworthy, always keeping His promises, and rejoiced in these things, in God's amazing power and grace. Through this remembrance and turning His focus away from himself and looking to God, Asaph came to an attitude of praise for how awesome God is, viewing his struggles in the light of God's amazing power and goodness.


The waters saw you God
Saw you and convulsed
So why can't I hear you now?
Where are those days of old?

For my spirit now grows faint
But you made the earth tremble and quake
Through the waters, paths created
Where is that power today?
Have your promises failed?
The darkness makes me afraid
Could your love be real?

What will I consider
In the dark of night?
And who will I remember
When hope has fled my sight?

~

To this I will appeal
Your word you've revealed
And when I am afraid
I see your power displayed

In the years of the right hand of the most high
I see your works in the past and in my life
I meditate on your mighty deeds
Your way, oh Lord, is holy
You are a God of wonders
Your works I will remember

When I'm troubled, and I cannot speak
And I wonder if your steadfast love has ceased
I see this life that you've redeemed in your great love
And set me free

And the years of the right hand of the most high
Show me your power and your greatness through all of time
Oh I will lift my eyes
And praise Him, forever glorified!
Proven to be trustworthy
My God, you are enough for me

So help me lift my eyes to see
Turn my thoughts away from me
Your goodness and your grace I'll sing
Oh Lord, you can do anything
And through the pain and suffering
My God, you are enough for me

No comments:

Post a Comment