Sunday, March 3, 2024

susie smiles

 


Your joyful smile

makes it a little easier

to get up in the morning.

I stumble out of bed,

feel around for my glasses,

and open your door.

You cry out with a happy voice,

eyes wide with delight

when you see me coming.

I yawn and smile, too.


Your silly smile

makes the day brighter,

as you wiggle on the changing table

and wait for me to wiggle back, 

as you peer at me around a corner,

hide your face, poke it out again,

and laugh at your joke.

I feel excited about the person you are, 

and are becoming.

I play and smile, too.


Your prideful smile

makes my heart swell with joy,

as you roll over all by yourself

and your face lights up,

amazed at each new thing

you find that you were made to do.

You smile, triumphant,

and look to see if I’m watching.

I clap and smile, too.


Your excited smile

makes me more grateful

when you see your dad come home,

and nearly shake with excitement.

your grin gets so big

and your arms stretch out to be held.

He lifts you up on his shoulders 

and you squeal happy sounds.

I love him and smile, too.


Your sleepy smile

makes me remember the good

as you drift off in my arms

with a tummy full of milk,

and I imagine what happy dreams

you are having.

I think back on the day

and what memories you’ve made.

I hold you tight and smile, too.



1 comment: