Monday, April 6, 2020

day by day

Today's song is the hymn "Day by Day and with Each Passing Moment." This song feels to me like a hug. It is a Swedish hymn, written by Lina Berg in 1865 after the death of her father. This hymn makes me think of my grandmother, who sings it in Swedish: "Blott en Dag," and reminds me that the Lord's mercies are new each morning, and He is with me each day.




Lyrics:

Day by day and with each passing moment, strength I find to meet my trials here;
trusting in my Father's wise bestowment, I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure gives unto each day what he deems best-
lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure, mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day the Lord himself is near me with a special mercy for each hour;
all my cares he fain would bear, and cheer me, he whose name is Counselor and Pow'r.
The protection of his child and treasure is a charge that on himself he laid;
"As your days, your strength shall be in measure," this the pledge to me he made.

Help then in every tribulation so to trust your promises, O Lord,
that I lose not faith's sweet consolation offered me within your hold Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting, e'er to take, as from a father's hand,
one by one, the days, the moments fleeting, till I reach the promised land.


1 comment: