Monday, August 19, 2019

sunrise

I meet you the moment 
I open the curtains
and am surprised by the soft glow
of a lovely sunrise.

You greet me with warm colors
and gentle light-
a new, sweet hello each time
we've been parted by night.

Your smile illuminates the edges of clouds,
then slowly, all the world around,
offering every day an invitation
to be beautiful again.

I want to believe
that you really, truly could love me.
I want to know
your mercies, new each morning.

Your perfect peace
that passes understanding,
your faithfulness
that persistently keeps rising.

You know my need for sleep
and let me go into the dark,
if only so that when I wake
I may savor your light more.

I savor your light new
each precious time that I look through
the curtains and see your face,
knowing I only see by grace.

You call me from the shadows
and take away my grave clothes.
You speak with me
and draw me through the window

To the place where you are,
the embrace of your care.
I meet with you again
in the meadow of prayer.


1 comment: