Monday, December 1, 2014

snowfall

The snow falls like a memory,
How it gently lands and melts;
Soaks into my skin persistently
Til my bones a chill have felt.

I remember the days when I would walk,
And brave the bitter cold.
A worn out mixture of snow and salt
Would crunch beneath my soles.

The earth was lifeless, sky was gray
As the clouds then slowly starved.
My fingers like the eye of a hurricane
Felt the numbness in my heart.

Fresh wounds then caused my feet to ache,
As my footsteps left behind-
On a blanket woven of soft snowflakes
A trail of red, red lines.

No one else could see the stain
On such a perfect white.
Memories of the empty gain
I found within a knife.

Inside my boots for me to feel
But for no one else to know.
These are the things I remember still
When I walk in winter snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment